Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I am a US Citizen that wants to move to Belgium. Is it hard to get a work visa


I am a US Citizen that wants to move to Belgium. Is it hard to get a work visa?
I have 5 years experience as a data/product/CRM analyst with specialized experience in business intelligence/statistical analysis software. I also have a Bachelor's and Master's in Mathematics. I have been applying to companies for more than one month and have yet to hear anything. Is it hard to get a work visa with my experience? My boyfriend resides in Brussels, Belgium and I am looking for a way to move there as soon as I can. Any advice on how to achieve this would be most welcome. Thank you!
Belgium - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My husband is French and the E.U. has standardized laws regarding work visas now so it is the same there as it is in Belgium. Aside from getting married to your boyfriend (which would automatically grant you citizenship and therefore a work permit for all of the E.U.) you need to find a company to sponsor you. Usually, the best bet is to find a U.S. company with a branch operating in the country where you want to live. Apply there for a specific opening abroad and play up your knowledge of the language (french or flemish) and the homecountry way of doing things as reasons to hire you over a local. Unemployment is high over there and you are very unlikely to find employment if you need a Belgian company to sponsor you. Good luck!
2 :
The EU rules make it very difficult for a non-EU citizen to work in an EU country without the sponsorship of a country. You might have luck signing on with a US company that does a lot of business in Belgium or in a neighboring country. Alternatively, marrying an EU citizen would give you the proper standing to work in the EU.
3 :
I'm Canadian and I got a work visa (and eventual citizenship in Belgium), so it's possible. The only way to get a work visa (without getting married to a Belgian) is to find a company here in Belgium that will hire you. They are going to have to start the procedure for obtaining a work visa for you. It could take 6 to 12 months before a work visa is granted. Once a work visa is obtained, you have to apply for a residence permit. You can do this yourself but I'm sure your company will do it. Note that you cannot by law work in Belgium while waiting for your work visa. That part sucks. It could take anywhere from 3 to 7 years before you are able to apply for Belgian citizenship (the rules change every year). If your boyfriend is Belgian, then he can officially take responsibility for you while you live in Belgium. You can't work, but you can look for work. You won't have any benefits however. If you marry a Belgian, you get citizenship in a year or two. I'm not sure, but I think you can get a work visa right away then. This is a hard and tedious process. The Belgium system is slow and full of red tape. go the the link below to put your resume online in Belgium. It is one of the better sites to put your resume. Belgium is a great country and full of opportunities. I wish you luck!