Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Could I follow a Master Degree in Nursing in the US


Could I follow a Master Degree in Nursing in the US?
I am a midwife in Belgium and am currently working as a qualified nurse. My husband has been offered a job for two years in the US as an ex patriot. Would it be possible for me the take a Master in Nursing even though I am a midwife? Also would it be possible to work as a nurse while taking this course?
Health Care - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You will first need to contact the state board of nursing where you will be living to see if you are eligible for Registered Nurse licensure. There are many regulations surrounding foreign-educated nurses and your school's program needs to be reviewed to determine if you meet all the same educational standards as a US educated RN. As for school and pursuing a master's degree, that is another issue where the school records office would need to review your transcripts to determine if you qualify for entry. So the bottom line is, nobody here can tell you much of anything, you'll need to contact the board of nursing and these universities and begin the process. Good luck to you!
2 :
Jill's answer is perfect. I did just want to add, that in the US, midwives are required to have the Master of Science in Nursing, so you could not work as a midwife in the US.