Wednesday, July 1, 2009

When will I be able to work after marriage in Belgium


When will I be able to work after marriage in Belgium?
My better half is Belgian and prefers that we settle in Belgium after marriage bc of his job. I'm a microbiologist and the embassy informed me that I wont be able to work for an undefinite time. Im worried I'll be redundant in Belgium after some years. Besides that, I am asian and my biggest fear is racism and how the locals would accept the presence foreigners as myself as I have no choice in this situation.
Belgium - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Once married, you should have no problem in being allowed to work. Racism, Belgians are pretty open, do not forget it's quite a small country, so lot's of foreigners and intercations with other countries
2 :
I think that after you get married and apply for a working permission you'll only have to wait for a couple of months until you get it and can start working. It's only a matter of a couple of months or so, not years. But whether you'll be able to work as a microbiologist in Belgium probably depends on where you got your education. The EU doesn't recognize education from certain countries or schools that have different standards than the EU.
3 :
the fact that you have a specific field of expertise should make that the bigger companies in your line of work normally have a siege here in Belgium. a lot of universities also have jobs in very specific research area. R&D is being promoted a lot here so it wouldn't be so hard. If your paperwork is all fine, you actually could start applying for jobs from the second you get settled even if you're not yet married. You just have to get a permit to work. Anyways if you already want to look for jobs here are some sites: http://www.jobat.be http://www.vacature.be http://www.vdab.be About the racism: well not everybody is equally open minded, I was born in belgium, but I'm not a belgian. So I've had my share of petty jokes and nasty remarks. But if you're an open person and outgoing you'll make friends very easily. The sooner you'll work the easier you'll get accepted, even by the more narrowminded jerks. Good luck on your search & congratulations.